[RC] [RC] Lost horses at WIllow Creek? - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

I hope the two wanderers were found safely.  Maybe here would be a good time to mention a gadget I saw on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Global-Finder-Tracking-Device-Pets/dp/B000CEN0YC

It’s a 5 ounce pet tag (which I assume could also be tucked into a cantle pack or even braided into a horse’s mane) that has GPS technology to track the whereabouts of the pet at any given time.  You can either initiate tracking via cell phone, and it will send you a text message of your pet’s current address (dunno how well that would work way out in the boonies), or you can log onto a website, and it will show you on a map where the critter is.

The cost is about $300 on Amazon, there’s a $35 set-up fee for the account, and some sort of monthly service plan that allows x number of locators per month.  No, I don’t have one (might get one, though, given my young mare’s apparent desire to part company with me at a moment’s notice)<g>, nor do I know of anyone that’s actually gotten one.  The reviews by actual users on Amazon were mixed---some people thought it worked well, others said technical support was awful, or it didn’t send alerts when it was supposed to.

One buyer had an alternate suggestion of buying a Verizon Migo , a GPS tracking unit for kids.  Attach it to a dog (or horse) and bingo, same thing.  The cost is about fifty bucks, plus ten dollars a month for service, plus you have to have a Verizon Family Plan and a phone that is Chaperon Capable.  Don’t ask me what any of that means, I’m lucky to remember my cell number at any given time, let alone what plan I have (I dial, it connects.  Good enough.)

Anyway, both are food for thought.  Pretty nifty stocking stuffers and sure would pay for themselves if a horse got loose from camp.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM