Re: [RC] hoof angle issues - Eric J Nelson

The reason I'm not sure if this is actually a problem, is that when I
look at his feet from the bottom,  the distance from the tip of the frog
to toe is small, about 1/3 of the hoof length. I do trim the toes, mainly
rasping a little wall and rolling the toe back to the white line, but
there is no extra sole to take off in the toe area. Someone pared away at
the sole in that area and got it so thin that the horse had purple
bruises (he has light feet) from it. He normally keeps his sole worn down
to where I can't take sole out without getting into the live sole plane.
I have been trimming him every 2-3 weeks for at least 3 years now. He
won't keep hoof boots on, and actually has scars from Easyboots - his toe
is too short and the buckle rides too high on the front of the hoof. I
drilled out the rivets on a set of easyboots and moved the buckles down,
and used them on a 50, but he threw them about 5 times. He finished that
ride sound. When "real" farriers come out to shoe him for a ride is when
I get the "walking on eggshells" foot soreness. I think I may have a vet
X-ray his feet as someone suggested to see how the bones are lined up. I
also appreciate the suggestions and website info that various people have
given me. Oh, also, when I had the problem with the heels/bars folding
over, I wasn't trimming as much heel as I should have been (an endurance
vet pointed out the problem) and I have been taking the heels back to the
widest part of the frog since this January, and no longer have any
problem with bruising. So basically, if I didn't own an angle gauge, I
probably would not have any concern with his feet.

   Shelly in DE