[RC] NC Ride and East - West - Mollie Krumlaw

When I looked at the list of NC starters I had the same thought, West
coast?  My second thought was that this shouldn't be all that surprising.
As an organization attendance of the annual convention seems to follow the
same trend.  A couple of years ago I was looking at the membership numbers
by region thinking that might have something to do with it. I found this
wasn't necessarily the case.  The NE and SE are pretty strong regions.  To
me that says it's might be more of a cultural issue within AERC.  Possibly
we just take *go West* too literally? :-)

Qualifications for the NC are an interesting dilemma.  If we want the
membership as a whole to embrace and attend the NC, then the qualifications
have to be reasonable enough so that our average members can qualify.  I
believe when the membership was polled less than 10% were riding to top ten
or better.

If we want the NC ride to showcase only our best than the qualifications
need to be made more difficult. If this is the case then we need to accept
that the NC ride won't be well attended.

My feeling is that we need an event that showcases both rider groups well,
if not we're failing both of our membership groups.  I'm guessing the board
felt the same way and this is the reason for the current qualifications and
structure.

All being said....don't discount the quality of horses at this years NC
ride.  This is a very tough group of riders and horses, it's going to be an
interesting day.

MKS