[RC] nc ride - oddfarm

I hope all are having a great ride!

Tom, I don't know why more people from central and west didn't show up. That's really too bad.

I do think there are waaaaay to many *winners* . I think Angie broke it down a few months ago and realistically, something like 30 riders could be winning something.

Also, the qualifications aren't all that impressive. 300 miles same horse and rider with one top 5 or 10 in a weight division or 1000 miles. Miles don't make winners. What I mean by that is that I can have 1000 miles and never have even come in the top half. But if I did say, 10 - 100 miles rides and won 6 or so, I could be considered real competition. Of course, that IS what I love about this sport. I can ride any damn way I want to ;)

Now I am not in any way implying those who are riding do not deserve to be there. I recognize some pretty fabulous riders. But I could have qualified on my 6 year old, (it's really not that hard to get a top 10 in a weight div) and we are in no way at the top of our game, let alone the game as a championship. A championship should be the cream of the crop and if someone like me were to be there, I would be diluting the cream into 2 % milk.

And, if we were at the top of our game, we would want to compete against the best the sport had to offer. I don't mind weight divisions and awards for those divisions but even regular rides have an overall winner. They are even advertising turtle awards! At a championship??

Of course, it is not truly a national championship if all the regions are not represented. Maybe if there was something to prove, more would show. JMO.

Lisa Salas, The odd Farm