be unable to without assistance. Her father mentioned hearing about the
ride-n-tie events, and is very interested in doing this with his daughter. Here are
our questions:

#1 - Can one of the riders do 99% of the running portion?
#2 - Can the other rider (aboard the horse) just follow the runner?
#3 - does the ride-n-tieThe  come in a 10-mile distance?
#4 - what is the time limit? (since they plan to go no faster than the mare's
fast rack.. 8-9mph)

Hi LP ~

Many endurance rides also include a "fun ride" of 10-15 miles that often include vetting and, sometimes, a completion award to introduce locals and newbies to the sport. So the thing to do would be to find a sponsor for the girl - which could be you (and Dad could "crew") or, even better, find Dad a horse to ride so he can sponsor/ride along with her. If that goes well, they could consider moving up to LD (limited distance) or even endurance distances in the future. Check the AERC calendar http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Calendar/ for rides in your area which might have a short "introductory" ride included. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the ride manager to ask about terrain, how easy/hard the ride is, etc (or post your location and I'm sure other Ridecampers will chime in).

All the distance riding groups have rules about "pacing" (an unentered horse or person setting the pace) so this would preclude Dad from just jogging alongside if she wanted to be to get a completion award. The pace for endurance and LD is pretty reasonable for those who ride for completion only (vs racing for top 10 and points) - a ride I volunteered at had five hours for completing the "fun" ride of 15 miles and I believe most LD rides of 25-30 miles allot 5-6 hours. If she needs assistance in and out of the saddle at vet checks, etc., I don't think there are any rules against this.

Kudos to you for trying to help this girl and her Dad work toward her dream - AERC has room for both the hot shoes and the turtles. Make sure she and her Dad are also included in the other parts that make endurance "special" - planning for the trip, the camaraderie of camping at Ridecamp, meeting other juniors/parents/riders, watching and learning at the vet checks, caring for her horse, the pre-ride meeting, watching the BC judging, the awards dinner.

Patti K
Vail AZ