Tie Association.
Thier website is:  www.rideandtie.org and the rules can be found
at: http://www.rideandtie.org/rules.html

#1 - Can one of the riders do 99% of the running portion?

Yes, here are the requirements with respect to how many times and where
the rider and runner must change places:

" 10. Each team will be required to tie it's horse and switch from rider
to runner and runner to rider at least six (6) times during an event.
Teams may tie as many times as they desire anywhere along the trail as
long as the ties do not obstruct the trail or are not made in designated
"No Tie" areas. A required tie will occur at each of the vet checks. A
team must exchange at least twice between vet checks. Where vet checks
are so close that two exchanges may be impractical, the Race Director
may at his discretion allow one exchange between two specific vet
checks. Alteration of this rule for small and local races should be kept
to a minimum and for specific circumstances. If a runner on a team has
not been overtaken by his partner before the next vet check, then the
runner must wait at the vet check for their partner to arrive in order
to meet the required vet check tie. Violation of this rule will result
in the team being disqualified from the race."

However, the rider and the runner can change places 100 feet (or even 10
feet) after any change if they want to.

#2 - Can the other rider (aboard the horse) just follow the runner?

Yes.  And they can stay together for the whole ride if they want.

#3 - does the ride-n-tie come in a 10-mile distance?

20 miles is the distance required for any results to "count" for year
end standings.  However, ride managers can run courses at any distance
they want to, and many (most) of them will also have a "short" course
varying anywhere from 6 to 15 miles, and in order for the event to be
sanctioned by the Ride n Tie Association a distance of 20 miles or more
must be offered (however, they can offer any other distances as well,
which most do).

#4 - what is the time limit? (since they plan to go no faster than the
mare's fast rack.. 8-9mph)

There are no rules with respect to time limit.  I suppose a ride manager
could set a time limit (don't know), but I have never been to an event
where if there was a time limit, I knew what it was.  If it is run in
conjuction with an endurance ride, I have always supposed that they
would want you to get to the vet checks before the vets leave the
endurance ride vet check, but I don't know this for sure since even
walking the course, I have never come up against any such time limit.

However, if they are able to cover the entire course at 8-9 mph, they
may have a decent chance of actually winning the event (this would,
however, require the person on FOOT to cover the course at this speed as
well).  This year's world championship was WON at an average speed of
~8.3 mph.  The team that finished last averaged 4 mph.

You can find other results from recent events at:
http://www.rideandtie.org/results.html which will tell you more about
distances offered and average times of all the participants.

kat
Orange County, Calif.