[RC] Utah wildnerness, public lands alert - Sky Ranch

I hesitate to send more info to these lists, regarding so-called "political" land issues.  Perhaps, I do it too often; in some views, it may not be DIRECTLY related to ctr's or endurance.  To me, it is, and is extremely important to protect public access.

If we lose access to public lands, wildnerness areas, forest service, bureau of land management lands, then we may lose the ability to ride on public lands.  If you care about public land issues, loss of access, etc., read on -- if not, then delete.  The following comes from a Utah alert group.  Information on how you can help protect Utah's Zion-Mojave wilderness, go to http://zionmojavewilderness.org/

HINCHEY AND DURBIN ASK REDROCK COSPONSORS TO OPPOSE BAD UTAH LAND SALE BILL-- YOU CAN HELP!

CONTACT CONGRESS TO STOP THE SELL-OFF OF AMERICA'S PUBLIC LAND AND PROTECT UTAH'S ZION-MOJAVE WILDERNESS

During the pre-election Congressional recess, members of Congress continue to work on legislation that will come up in the post-election "lame duck" session in November. Among the many bills that will likely see action is the Washington County Growth and Conservation Act (S 3636/H.R. 5769). Despite opposition from more than 120 organizations around the country, Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT) and Representative Jim Matheson (D-UT) continue to press forward with this ill-conceived legislation.

The Senate bill will be the subject of a hearing before the Energy and Natural Resources Committee on November 16. Following this, there may be an attempt to combine the Washington County bill with other legislation in an effort to get it passed without having to stand alone on its own merits.

Because the Washington County bill denies wilderness protection for the vast majority of wild lands in the county that would be protected by America's Red Rock Wilderness Act (H.R. 1774/S. 882), our Utah wilderness champions in Congress have written letters to their Senate and House colleagues opposing the Washington County bill.  Other cosponsors of America's Red Rock Wilderness Act are signing on to letters by Representative Maurice Hinchey and Senator Richard Durbin in order to demonstrate the breadth of concern throughout Congress about the Bennett/Matheson bill.

Currently there are 160 ARWA cosponsors in the House and 15 in the Senate. If your Representative or Senators are cosponsors, please call them and ask that they sign on to the Hinchey letter in the House and the Durbin letter in the Senate. Tell your members of Congress that you appreciate their support for protecting Utah's wilderness, and that it is important that they demonstrate that support during the waning days of this Congressional session by signing on to the Durbin/Hinchey letters opposing the Washington County Growth and Conservation Act.
You can reach your member of Congress by calling the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.
You can find out whether your member of Congress is a cosponsor of America's Red Rock Wilderness Act by going to http://suwa.org/page.php?page_name=arwa_cosponsors_108

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
Carla Richardson
Colorado