Re: [RC] mane mites/allergies/Diatomacious earth - LEAHCHIRO

In a message dated 10/13/2006 3:25:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, jorudol@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I' ve also heard of DE, but "Feed Grade" was recommended for feeding.  The pool supply stuff is chemically treated and heated, and may be harmful.  Some feed stores carry the feed grade DE, also called Fossil Shell Flour.  There is a website I just looked at, www.dirtworks.net that has a good description of DE under their pest control or pet supplies section. Also other info from other companies if you search under diatomacious earth.  I was once subjected to a one hour "revelation" from a customer on the all-encompassing wonderfullness of DE.  She gave it to everything on her place, equine, bovine, poultry, canine, feline, even herself.  Said she had really healthy animals that never got sick or parasitic, even cured her allergies. It may have even cured hiccups, if I'd had the time to continue listening.  She was just a tad extreme in her conviction of the power of DE.
Diane Day <FourDays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I use a product from Jeffers Equine  called Get-A-Way Feed thru Repellant(Item AxJC-73)
It has DE and garlic and a few other things. My horse was mite and knat free all summer.I ordered the 10 lb tub and it will last a few years. LEAH, Atlanta,GA