Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] Re: Legend/Adaquan -now research? - Trailrite

In a message dated 10/11/2006 7:50:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If you already have arthritis that causes to you be grade IV lame if you
don't use it, you aren't using it as a preventative.  You are using it
as a treatment.  Using it as a preventative, would be using it to keep
you (or your horse) from getting arthritis in the first place.  And,
incidentally, Adequan has never been proven to be a preventative.  There
is some speculation that you can keep your horse (or yourself) from ever
getting arthritis by "pre-lubricating" the joint by improving the
synovial fluid in a healthy joint with the administration of Adequan,
but nobody has ever demonstrated that this is the case and that Adequan
works in this way.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
OK, I have to comment on this.  First of all the statement that Adequan hasn't been proven to be a preventative might be an early statement.

It takes time to prove these things with horses on a preventative treatment schedule over lets say 10 years.  I have 4 horses that have been on such a preventative treatment schedule myself and I can say that so far it has worked with my 4 horses 100%.  They have NO arthritis at this point in time.
I've started and used gluclosamine, Legend and Adequan (injectables) once a month on my performance horse.
The funny thing is, I don't even use it at all time.  Like when my mare stopped endurance and had her foals or other stupid injuries with the other horses that aren't related to joints or wear and tear, like a cut or something.

None of these have arthritis...yet:

*TR Katie Bar The Door - 15 years old has been doing endurance since she was 6 years old - Has 4,000+  miles to date. 15hds

*TR Ima Liberated Lady - 14 years old has been doing endurance since she was 4 years old -Has 6000+ miles mostly with a heavy weight rider. 15.1hds

*TR Sharkee - 24 years old has been doing endurance since he was 16 years old - Has 3000+ miles topped 10 in 5 -100 milers and a FEI Pan Am horse in 2003. 14.1hds

*TR Charutu - 10 years old has been doing endurance since he was 6 years old - Has 3500+ miles with 2 Tevis and a 2nd and 3rd at Californios 100 milers. 15.3hds

Also, the above horses are all from different types of blood lines and are not at all the same confirmation types

I would say that using preventive works.  If my horses had been in a government (USDA) program I think that the statement of Legend, Adaquan, or Gluclosamine doesn't work would be revaluated at this point.

I would be interested at this point on what other horses out there in endurance have been on a preventive programs and that have the same results ether positive or negative.

Tammy Robinson
Trail-Rite
18171 Lost Creek Road
Saugus, CA 91390