[RC] leather vs neoprene cruppers - Jonni

I've used leather ones for YEARS. The biggest problem is that you need to clean it often. You can clean with just water and then once and awhile, you need to put some leather conditioner on it, to prevent cracking. I have a neoprene one (Old Orthoflex Angie...the ones hard to find) but prefer ones that have the adjustment buckles at the Y, where it attaches to the tail piece itself, not the loop and snap like the neoprene ones I've seen. My new favorite is the plastic tube and biothane I got from Canadian Tack. Many of the plastic tube tail pieces are not pre-shaped and curved to lay nice under the tail. They are just a piece of tube looping around, and they kink, don't lay flat etc.

Scroll to bottom to see crupper. I had mine made without the snaps, and just the buckle in adjustment. Paddi (as most of the vendors) is great to work with. The plastic tube cleans easy, no maintenance. Oh, is this where I say "My horse and I love it". (I don't think any horse LOVES any tack if given a choice, they would be fed, fussed over, and not have to wear tack at all)  ;-)

Jonni in TX