RE: [RC] Fw: [RC] scratches - Jessica Cameron

Another thing that works is sauer kraut. You put it directly on the affected area, wrap it with vet wrap and duct tape it so it doesn't come off and doesn't come out the top or the bottom. It works great. Put it on for a few days and it usually clears it right up. I'm not really sure why or how it works, but it does.

Jessica in MT

From: Steven Proe <trails_first@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fw: [RC]   scratches
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Steven Proe <trails_first@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Sharon.Jordan@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2006 7:38:12 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] scratches

Hi Folks:
Two cup's of regular bleach is a 4 gallon bucket of warm water will remove the scratches and the scabbing by gently soaking the effected areas and the when softened, by using a small piece of terry cloth towel to gently debried/clean the impacted areas and then you can allow to dry if possible or use a lite wrap to protect.

The skin I agree will be tender, you can repeat this procedure as needed to remove and kill the critters that cause the scratches.

This treatment will not stop the conditions that are causing the scratches, except by possible mixing a bigger batch of the bleach and warm water.

With out knowing the actual cause and conditions that the horses are placed in, in each situation/barn/paddock it will be most impossible to diagnose the cause.

You will also have the softes hands and may wish to use a Aloe additive to the wounds and your hands if you didn't wear gloves.

hth
steven