[RC] Scratches - Randy or Cheryl Winter

As one person mentioned, it depends on what is causing the scratches in the
first place.  I have in the past used the Triple Antibiotic, DMSO and
Hydrocortisone cream with great success.  The problem for me came when the
scratches were due to a photo sensitivity problem by white aslike clover
that my gelding was eating in the pasture.  When ingested, the liver by some
horses, cannot process a certain chemical, and it shows up as a sun
sensitivity on the legs.  Very nasty and impossible to get rid of unless one
gets rid of the clover.  This same problem can happen with alfalfa for some
horses. So after months of painful leg cleaning, medications, wrapping
(which helped some because it blocked the sun from the legs) we finally
narrowed it down to the clover.  Sprayed the pasture, got rid of the
majority of it, and have not had problems since.  Occasionally if I see too
much clover coming in again, will have to spray to knock it back.
So, again, it depends on whether the problem is fungal, sun sensitivity,
mud, etc.  That is that hard part is figuring out why.  The term scratches
really is just a rather general term for a multi facetted problem.

Cheryl Winter