Re: [RC] First 50 Advice - Truman Prevatt

Since this rider is doing to the Piney Pig in South FL this weekend I'll modify you advice a little. First I've always been kind of fond of that ride site. I've had a few of my best rides there. I will also be there.

Bruce Weary wrote:

Advice for your first 50:
1) Go slow and get there quicker.

Make sure you keep you horse slowed down so he won't trip of a wild pig that might jump out in front of him from behind a pine tree - after all it is the Piney Pig.

2) Eat and drink even when you don't think you need to.

Especially drink in South FL

3) Wear sunblock.

Especially in South FL.

4) Get off at water stops. You can stretch a bit and Courtney Hart says horses tend to drink more if you dismount.

Before you dismount look for the gators. An alligator will chow down on a human long before they will chow down on a horse. Humans are more tender.

5) Try to remember you're there to have a good time.

Easy to do there - it's a fun ride.

6) Listen to your horse. If you wonder if your horse is off, he probably is. Don't ignore it.

If the heart rate is running at 200, first look around for a gator. If you see one - that's probably the reason.

7) Be honest with the vet. After every vet check, ask him/her "Anything I should be concerned about?" Continue asking this throughout your career.

With the vets there no problem - they know when they are getting a line of BS. In fact they know before you even come to see they how your horse is because they have been watching you the whole time you are in the check.

8) No racing!

This is South FL you need to same your horse to escape the alligator that might get so pissed off that he swears that the next horse that sticks his nose in the canal to get a drink and wakes him up is going to be lunch - then along you come, you horse sticks his nose in the canal..............

9) Wipe that silly grin off your face as you cross the finish line with a healthy, sound horse that is ready for more

10) Sit up straight.
11) Eat your vegetables.
12) Don't talk back to your mother. Good luck, and don't worry if you don't finish in time for the dinner. It's probably spaghetti anyway.

I hear the DuPuis Cafe has serves gourmet food all day long.

Truman

--

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire