Re: [RC] National ID - Jody Rogers-Buttram

This is a very interesting conversation here.  I am a GIS administrator, that is a computer based method of tracking/mapping.  GIS (Geographic Information System) has been around since the early 70's.  Now it has many uses, some of which are tracking things like polar bears (implanted with chips) and etc.  So, you may not know this, but the government and businesses already know lots about you.  They take the receipts from nearly everywhere you stop and shop.  They then compile databases on profiles from these reciepts.  Then, these profiles are used to construct their marketing strategies.  They know what you like to do, where you do it, what kinds of pets you own, what you like to wear, drive, and even what kind of shampoo you use.  So, this big brother idea is not too far off.  We have had the chip tracking in the animals for a while now, we use it to find our lost pets, etc.  Now, it is going into the beef industry.  (my hubby is a cattle farmer).  So, do I think we are headed down that path to people tracking?  Yes, I really do.  Is it a good thing?  From the general public view no.  It is nice to use to track ex-cons, abductors and so on, but once the government gets it into the livestock, it won't be long until it goes on further.  We can only hope that the government will have someone in place to try and protect us.

In college, I had to write a paper on "The integrity of uses in GIS".    This was one of them.

Jody

PS.  I had to type this up twice....so if it posts twice, just ignore one.

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In general commercial enties do not have the same level of
constitutional protections as the individual. The Bill of Rights does
not gurantee that a corporation will not have some sort of Governmental
regulation if it is in the best interest of the country. It is a
perfectly legitimate function of Goverrnment to provide regulation that
will, for example, protect the food supply.

It has only been in the past several years that the concern about the
vulnerability of the food (and water) supply has come into question. The
world has become a lot more dangerous for many reasons. It may not even
be a currently known pathogen. With a few college chemisty and biology
courses, a bathtub and a commerical grade mixer and DNA fragments that
can be bought from reserach labs a person is fully capable of making a
pathogen that could cause significant harm to either animals (food
supply) and/or humans. The pathogen might very well be carried by
animals. If this pathogen didn't work - oh well - back to the lab. It
only takes one.

The need for the ability to be able to rapidly respond is essential. We
have seen what the inability to respond rapidly resulted in. We knew the
aircraft on 9/11 were off course. The FAA air traffic control radar
system knew it almost as soon as they took off. They knew where they
were. If there were the proper mechanism in place where th FAA radar
system would feed the national air defense radar system and NORAD had
been notified in a timely manner, the huge loss of life on 9/11 most
likely could have been prevented. It today's world it's best to be
prepared.

Yes it may be a pain in the butt to some. It will impact all that are
involved in livestock business. Yes we should make sure - through who we
vote for and input to our congresspersons - that the proper balance is
met and that an over zealous use of "war powers" is not used to justify
unnecessary intrusion into our private lives. However, it is also better
not to get caught with our pants down around our knees again.

The key is a population that demands that our Government be accountable
to the people.

Truman