[RC] groin muscle pull in horses - Karla Watson

My horse hurt his groin muscle inside his back upper thigh. At the time he injured it we thought it was a butt muscle cramp at a ride over 5 weeks ago. The vet examined him at the 42 mile mark and that is what she concluded. He was sound 1 hour later and perfectly sound for the next 5 weeks with training rides and trot outs. In fact he seemed stronger than ever. This last weekend we started a 100 mile ride and were pulled at the first vet check (17 miles) for that muscle. He was very slightly off but enough to say quits. When the vet put her hand on that muscle, he was in pain there. He was sound 1 hour later, no pain when I massaged that muscle and sound trotting the last few days in my pasture. How long is the recovery on that muscle? Anyone had that muscle injured? The vet said it could be tricky as it comes and goes and you never know if its healed. I guess groin muscles are the same in humans. They move that muscle all the time so its hard to heal. She said light riding would be ok but I'm also giving him the rest of the season off. I'm lucky I have a back up horse. Any thoughts??
----------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon