[RC] Leaving buddy behind better living through chemistry - Sheila_Larsen

I too have a horse that is very connected to her buddy and I worry about
her running through the fence hot wire or not.  I left her in her stall
once while I took the other horse (I had done that previously and it was
successful) however this one time she decided to kick the barn down, broke
several boards and bent the metal frame, and my non-horsey husband sat with
her for several hours until I returned.  I discussed it with my vet and she
suggested giveing acepromazine before leaving her.  Last summer I did it
fairly consistently, meaning l was leaving her once to twice a week.  Once
the "ace" took effect I would leave her in her stall and after an hour or
so my husband would turn her out in a paddock that had electric fence.  She
would just eat and not run the fence. I was leaving for over 4 hours so the
"ace" must have worn off but got her over her initial "tizzy".   Over time
I was able to reduce the amount of "ace" some but never tried to completely
take her off.  This summer I haven't consistently left her but I did give
her "ace" before I left with lots of hay and my husband said she was quiet.
Perfect solution - nope, but better than a hurt horse.  Perhaps  if you
were very consistent one could wean them off completely.