[RC] horse in shock? - Marlene Moss

I have a horse that was recently kicked (although seemed to be healing well) and has a cold and today is developing strange symptoms.

This horse is not currently on my property as I am in the process of doing a trade and once he got a cold it made more sense for him to go ahead and go to the new place to keep from spreading the cold to more horses at our place.  At the time we realized he was sick, his temp was 102.  But I think this might have had something to do with his leg because of the other horses that got the cold, none have had a temperature.  The leg was healing nicely at this point, (it’s on the middle of the upper leg), we’d kept the wound open for a while because there was a good sized lump around it, but has now closed up.

So on Tuesday we saw he was snotty, the vet was already coming to do teeth (we didn’t do his because of the cold) and gave him an injection of banamine IV and Gentocin(sp?) IM and then put him on sulfa and bute and he went to his new home.  He’s been fine until this morning.  Now his temp is 93 and he’s shivering (we did also have a temperature drop and it’s only 46 right now) and he keeps laying down.  He is pooping, so not necessarily colicky.  They’ve given him banamine, blanketed him and are walking him while trying to get in touch with a vet.  He’s a lot snottier than the other horses who’ve gotten sick.

I’ve never dealt with a horse with a cold at all before so have no idea what the risks are.  I know the horse has had bute, banamine and sulfa before.  Probably not Gentocin, but don’t know.  They don’t feel any different warmth at the wound site or anything to indicate infection there.  He’s 10 and basically a healthy horse.

I’m worried that there is something more going on with the kick wound or else a combination of that wound and the drugs are putting him in shock?  I figured I’d do some research and ask you guys if you’ve had any experience with this in case it takes a bit to get a vet to see him.  If you have any ideas, please respond directly to me as I am on digest and it might take a while to get to me.

Thanks!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com