[RC] recovering from head injury - Chris Paus

I've got a health question that I'm hoping some of you might have experienced and be able to help me with,or the good docs (or bad ones, LOL) on the list might be able to help with. So I can get back to riding and do the fall ride season here!

I got smacked in the face two weeks ago hard enough to break my nose and cause my lip to swell up like a parrot beak. I never lost consciousness, pupils never dilated, I was awake, aware and lucid and madder than heck, but that's another story... (no,DH did not smack me around, he doesn't do such things...he knows I'm stronger, LOL)

anyway, worse than the blood or the pain from the broken nose was the almost immediate feeling of nausea, which I chalked up to  shock. Went to the big city trauma center. The dr ordered a CT scan and ER nurse threw a tray full of wet gauze at me so I could clean up myself. My BP was fine, all vital signs good. The dr said the CT scan showed nothing unusual and I could go home. Gave me a tetanus shot, prescribed pennicillin and  a few pain pills and sent me home,still very nauseated.

Two days later, I was sicker and sicker. Went to the family dr who didn't believe the hospital report and ordered x=rays,which clearly showed a broken nose. The break didn't separate, so there's nothing to do but let it heal and try not to bump it!

I missed a CTR four days later and vowed I'd get to the IndianTerritory ride and at least do 25 miles. It's Oct. 7. The problem is, I still get sick, like motion sickness! And have bad headaches. But mostly the motion sickness is the worst. I haven't taken many pain pills. The nose doesn't hurt that bad.

Went to my chiro last week who said I had a bad case of whiplash (big surprise there). After the first adjusment,the feeling of nausea was gone. Yeah! Had another adustment several days later.

Yes,this is endurance related! I'm getting there... bear with me!

I've ridden twice over the last weekend, for an hour at a time.

Today, I felt good enough to do a long ride for the first time since the wreck. Mostly walking and trotting, 17 miles of easy terrain, on my steady and mostly well behaved mare. I made sure I drank lots of water, ate a couple of protein bars along the trail.... but about a mile from camp and trailer, I got really sick again. Barely made it in and had to lay down in the grass for awhile before I could take care of my horse and drive us home. I'm Ok now, not sick,now that I've been home and still for a few hours.

So, how long til I don't have this dang motion sickness? Am I going to get better before the next ride? This just sucks...Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing process? I DON'T WANT TO MISS ANOTHER RIDE! I missed rides last spring because of a torn hamstring... gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

chris

Chris Paus