RE: [RC] club foot vs hi/low syndrome - Dream Weaver

I've got one horse with this problem. He's done fairly well in endurance, this is his tenth year, he's got around 7500 miles and has several wins and best conditions. Good horse in spite of the hoof flaws. Out of the four horses I've got he's the only one with that problem and while he may have what some view as the best record (the most top tens, wins, etc.) I don't view him as the best horse out of the group. During most of his career managing his feet was always a big issue. Competing like he was he had to be reshod every three or four weeks. It wasn't easy to try and get him to all of his rides two weeks into a shoeing, no more than three and definitely not four! Luckily I had a very good farrier who kept Rocky going and taught me a lot (since I've had Rocky since he was a few months old) about how I needed to manage him so that he would stay sound and be able to compete in endurance. Due to the defects in his feet nobody ever thought he would make it as an endurance horse and several people told me that including ride vets. It's sort of funny now. Since then I've been fortunate enough to have gotten horses that don't have those kind of feet issues and believe me it is so nice. I love Rocky and he was what I had to work with at the time but I would never choose a horse with those flaws again, when there are so many out there that don't have them and then won't require the micro-management. It's not just the feet that you have to deal with but how that translates into the rest of the horse. Now that we've had Rocky barefoot last year and this year it's easy to see why he had to have such frequent shoeing and why he would be uneven three weeks into a shoeing cycle -- because in only two or three weeks time his front angles may change by several degrees. It's much easier to manage him now because I don't have to worry about the shoeing schedule for him and can keep his angles and hoofcare more up to date. Still though, his feet suck and having him shod or barefoot either one doesn't and hasn't changed that. It was all a great learning experience for me, but it's not something that I want to know any more about (ha).

Here are some photos of his feet. http://sunriseranchrides.com/rockysfeet/ROCKYOCTOBER2005FEET.HTML Looks like from last October, so almost a year ago. A couple more here (click on photos to see larger) from a week or so ago: http://easycareinc.typepad.com/karen/2006/09/shamuerrrrrocky.html They look a little better, and probably are stronger since he's not flaring. But he has things happen to his feet that don't happen to the others, like they chip and crack when he goes from the pasture to the dry section. So you can see that with good hoofcare, you can manage a horse with these issues, but it does take more effort.

Karen