[RC] Who Is Tailing Who? (long) - Don Huston

Well I certainly learned a lot about Haw & Gee and that people actually train their critters to go a certain direction on command. Amazing. I have done a lot of tailing and never bothered to think about if I am controlling the horse with commands until now. Turns out my commands are very primitive when compared to actual directions like Haw & Gee. What has happened over time is that when my horse wanders off trail or picks a direction that I didn't ask for I forcefully steer in the direction I want and growl haaay or uh-uh-uh hoping to teach him to stay on the trail etc. It turns out that growling and showing my displeasure has taught him to change whatever it was he had decided to do. The problem with this primitive method occurs when he has made no decision and is just staying on course. So now I'm plodding along tailing my horse and he is following the trail just like I want and we come to a fork, now the mind-game starts. If he never hesitates and just plods right on I'm screwed if it's the wrong trail cause he has not made a choice, so growling at him tells him I'm displeased with what? Staying on the trail? Stupid human. So I just pull his nose around with the rope and head him the way I want. When he hesitates and actually makes a choice then I can change his choice by growling at him and 8 out of 10 times he will just veer over to the other fork. Very pitiful leadership skills here. I do praise him for picking the trail I wanted but what does that mean? The poor devil has a 50-50 chance of getting scolded every time he makes a decision. So after this one-man encounter group session I have convinced myself to teach that boy Haw & Gee, Left & Right. I'm sure my horse will be grateful to you Ridecampers for starting this thread.

Don Huston <donhuston@xxxxxxx>
Haw...Gee...haay...uh-uh-uh...other way...right-right...no-no-no...crap...@#$%