RE: [RC] Resting HR on young horses/Stroke Volume/Bradycardia - heidi

I'm late coming into this discussion, and don't have the technical answers to all of Beverley's questions, but will share a few comments.

First of all, the horse has some physiological adaptations of the cardiovascular system that are unique to equids, one being that it starts out far superior to anything the human cardiovascular system can do.  In general, mammalian heart rates follow their body size (ie mice have REALLY high heart rates, and elephants REALLY low ones) but the horse is the one species that is clear off the graph, with a far lower resting heart rate than you would predict, given its body size.

In addition to that, most species can raise their RHR about 4x to their maximal HR.  The horse can raise his about 6-7x--again, clear off the charts for other species.  This is one of the adaptations that makes him so uniquely suited to quick flight from predators, and likewise (because the range between the two is so wide) makes him uniquely suited to endurance pursuits.

While it is true that the RHR may lower somewhat with conditioning, there is still quite a range in RHRs--and this does in part get back to stroke volume.  However, stroke volume is not the only aspect involved in RHRs in the horse--there are also some neurological aspects that cause some variation.

In general, although one might want to shy away from horses with RHRs of, say, 50, there is a point of diminishing returns in selecting for lower and lower RHRs in prospects--once one is looking at horses in the 30s to low 40s, one is likely looking at normal-to-advantageous stroke volumes, and the key becomes the recovery rate.  Even unconditioned, good prospects tend to have phenomenal recovery rates, and ones that will have to condition a lot more to achieve them will show poorer ones.  (Biggest problem is that ones with such superior cardiovascular systems tempt you to ride beyond what their skeletal systems are conditioned to take.)

I'm no cardiologist, but hope that thumbnail sketch helps.

Heidi

Truman,

I have been wondering about this thruout the RHR discussion.

In humans, and I assume in horses, the stroke volume is the amount of blood
that can be ejected/squeezed out from the left ventricle in a single
contraction ("stroke"--like the stroke of an engine piston). With increased
conditioning and fitness, the heart muscle enlarges. So in the
well-conditioned, enlarged heart, each contraction is stronger and the
stroke volume goes up. This has minimal, if any, direct effect on RHR.

The decreased heart rate--again, in humans--that comes from conditioning is
mainly from the decreased sensitivity of the pacemaker of the heart
(normally  the sinoatrial (SA) node in the right atrium) to the circulating
adrenalin of exercise. There are other HR determinants that have to do with
more efficient blood/oxygen extraction and utilization in lungs, heart
muscle, and skeletal muscle, and effects on the vagus nerve, which slows the
heart. So both the increased stroke volume and decreased RHR are a function
of the same conditioning factors.

What I don't get is how the -unconditioned- resting heart rate in horses is
any predictor of cardiovascular fitness for endurance. In humans, the
unconditioned resting heart rate is partly genetic, partly due to other
factors (age, foods, stress, etc). The more important thing to look at is
how the baseline, unconditioned HR decreases with conditioning.
  In humans, the recovery time to resting HR is a function of conditioning,
not of the absolute value of the RHR. Some humans with very low RHRs in the
unconditioned state become -dangerously- low in the conditioned state.
     Since the target/criterion HR at Rides is usu 60-64, any reasonably
fit horse should be able to recover to below that number. In a perfect
world, the Ride criterion should be something like "time to recover to 110%
of RHR," where RHR is in the absolutely calm, almost asleep horse. Since
this is somewhere between impractical and impossible, is it not true that
recovery criteria somewhat favor the horse with "genetically" low RHR **even
tho that RHR has nothing to do with the horse's fitness and fitness to
continue the ride** ???
  Summary point: in humans, unconditioned RHR and recoveries are unrelated.
  True or not in horses ???

Also in humans a slow RHR (bradycardia) in the unconditioned state can be a
sign of SA node or other heart disease. So given comparative human
physiology, I don't get why low RHR is so desirable in the purchase of an
unconditioned horse. I would even be concerned that such a bradycardia might
be a sign of a pacemaker or conduction (of electricity) disturbance.

Beverley...who has done >2,500 treadmill tests in humans of all levels of
fitness and with and without heart disease.

Beverley Kane, MD
Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy
Woodside, CA
http://www.horsensei.com