Re: [RC] [RC] Extra safety (was Cruppers or not) - Dawn Carrie

I would add that in addition to using it for your horse's sake, use it for your fellow riders' sake.  A panicked horse bolting through a group of riders with a saddle under its belly or hanging sideways is way dangerous.  I seem to recall that a rider was badly hurt at Tevis a few years back due to another rider coming off and their saddle going under the horse's belly, causing the horse to panic and injuring the other rider.  No matter *how* well-conformed a horse's back is, and how well a saddle fits, it can be pulled off center and turned by the weight of a rider coming off.

Case in point, I nearly had it happen to me last night...my 6 yr old gelding had a "Junior Moment" when a 10 foot tall sapling went between my leg and his side with a loud "SWISH" as the leaves and branches passed through.  Of course, if he had not been arguing with me about what speed we were going and had stayed on the trail, the sapling would not have attacked him...but that's another issue.  <G>  He jumped sideways and bolted, I nearly came off, and the saddle turned a fair bit, but was stopped by the breast collar (and my right heel dug into his side to hold me on LOL).  I stayed on, and came away with only a bruised shin and scraped arm.

The little sucker is rock solid 98% of the time...but the other 2%, he's an E-ticket ride!  LOL  But he's getting better.  :)

Dawn in East Texas
and Sundance (What's wrong with going Warp Factor 10 all the time??)