Re: [RC] [RC] Hoof Supplements Revisited - Dawn Carrie

We use the Paragon Biotin Plus, recommended by Susan Garlinghouse.  It has the most biotin in it.  It contains 50 mg biotin per scoop...the container recommends 1 scoop per day, but Susan noted that horses will simply pee out any in excess of 20-25 mg, so we give 1/2 scoop per day.  It works great.  My 7 yr old gelding Bear had fairly poor hoof quality.  Hoof would split and crack where the nails came out...it was only due to the skill of our farrier that he only lost 2 shoes in the first year I had him, and that was only when we stretched farrier visits to 6 weeks instead of 5 due to scheduling needs.  After 14 months on the biotin, Bear grew the new, better quality hoof down, and it no longer splits and cracks.  I have a very happy farrier.  :)  Cheapest source for the Paragon is KV Vet Supply.

Dawn Carrie