[RC] cruppers - Rebecca Bianchi

I'd like to put my two cents in on this subject.  There are different styles of cruppers and not all work on every horse.  The first one I bought was supposed to "mold itself" to the shape of the tail.  Not only did it not do that, but it caused huge sores on the under side of the tail.

- Warning no. 1: always check under the tail for signs of rubbing ( before they become ugly weeping sores - I am so sorry Lady)
- Warning no. 2: the crupper should be snug enough that it doesn't wiggle/jiggle around as the horse moves, this not only causes sores, but the crupper loop can get below the anus, grabbing on as it moves up causing mega goosing followed by - well that depends on how athletic and vengeful your horse can be.  (Now this is tricky because when saddling, my horses have their tails down and flat against the body, but being Arabs as soon as they move out the tail comes up and the crupper loosens.  So, I may have to really pull to get the crupper hooked up at first but then it should loosen up when the horse moves.)
-Warning no. 3: always check your crupper before using it to see if it needs cleaning.  By nature of placement they can get really dirty and crusty which can cause sores that would make even the most mild mannered mount, that is used to a crupper, go ballistic.
-Warning no. 4: lunge your horse for a few minutes, fully tacked, before you get on.  He/she will let you know how the crupper feels at that moment in time.  Could save you down time from an injury.

I've been there, done that, luckily escaped injury, never ride without a crupper,
Becky