[RC] FW: ride amenities - karen coombes

Quoting Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> It sounds like it was a great event!

> While I am not disparaging this event in particular, I also realize

> that some ride managers are unable, for one reason or the other, to

> provide such luxuries.  Nowadays, it almost seems like the rides that

> provide more goodies draw the riders more than the ones with spare

> amenities.  I can't say I blame the riders, but it seems that the

> focus is not on the trail and the adventure, but on the luxuries that

> are provided.  I hope I'm wrong, because there are a lot of good rides

> offered that do not have all the frosting. Could this trend also be

> the reason that 100-mile rides are diminishing?  The original idea was

> to endure a tough ride, discomfort, and challenges.  Are we now

> gravitating to rides that are shorter, and ones that offer

> refreshments at every corner? Please do not interpret this as

> criticism of the Patriot Day ride, but as a philosophical discussion.

> I'd like to hear other opinions on this.

> Barbara

As in a business venture, a RM invests seed money, and then hopes “they will come”.  New rides may (probably will) end up costing the RM money out of their own pocket (and probably more so on a 100), but if they do most things right, the riders will return next year, and bring friends.  Then, in a few years, there will be enough rider fees to maybe provide a few amenities.  Keep in mind tho that at some rides the amenities are not provided by RM, rather by the townspeople who enjoy seeing an endurance event in their town (like at Tevis). A cure for this would be for riders to be adventurous and do any first time rides they can – for 2 reasons – 1- to support the RM’s who we all know put SOOOOO much into a new (and every) ride, and – 2 – to check out the trails (cuz who knows – it could be the best trail ever).  Don’t wait to hear from a friend or on ridecamp about that new ride – go experience it yourself.  If it sucks, don’t go back next year.  If it’s awesome tell everyone you know.

Karen, in Texas