Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Update on stumbling horse - EPM

Carla,
A positive blood test means ONLY that your horse has been exposed to the EPM organism...NOT that he has EPM!!!  In some parts of the country (espcially the SE), up to 60-70% of horses will show a positive blood test.  I urge you to get some additional opinions, and if you still feel that your horse may have EPM, consult with a veterinarian who has experience with EPM horses, and have a complete exam done...where they put the horse through a battery of physical tests to test his physical responses.  I would not even rely on what some consider the "definitive" test, the spinal tap.  It is VERY difficult to get a sample that is not contaminated with blood...and even a microscopic amount of blood will produce a positive test result in a horse with a postive blood test as yours has.  I've seen recent info from UC Davis that suggest that they are even doubting the validity of a good spinal tap as a diagnostic tool.

Here's an example...my gelding Bear was returned to the seller by his first buyer, because she thought he was uncoordinated and became convinced he had EPM (he *was* uncoordinated...green, spooky, didn't know how to balance with a rider on trail, crossing creeks, etc.  LOL).  She had a spinal tap done, it came back a "weak positive" and was so contaminated with blood it was actually bloody.  Well, I knew there was nothing wrong with the horse and bought him, and 570 endurance miles later (including one 100 miler), Bear is doing just fine.  We joke that "who needs expensive drugs to cure EPM, just ride it out of 'em!"  LOL

Good luck with your boy...and please keep us posted.
Dawn Carrie, Texas
and Little Bear TC (nuthin' wrong with me, except that Mom won't let me go fast!)