[RC] Update on stumbling horse - EPM - Sky Ranch

Well,

I just got the news from my veterinarian - my horse's blood test came back positive for EPM.  This is such a surprise to me, and I'm so glad I had him tested.  Even the vet had decided that he probably didn't have EPM, but I asked him to test for it anyway.  Glad I did.

Apparently the meds for it are extremely expensive, about $800 to $900 a month.  This is not something I counted on, and it's frightening.

I was so *sure* he wouldn't have EPM, because we don't have possums in this part of Colorado.  But my vet told me that he has seen EPM in other horses, (my vet's in northern New Mexico).  Apparently skunks may also be implicated in spreading this -- oddly enough, I've only been feeding hay to my horses.  So, it's a mystery to me how he got it, but now I have to figure out how to pay for his treatment.  It's not going to be easy, but there's no choice, it is a treatable condition and the sooner we start his meds the better.

Carla Richardson
Colorado