[RC] South Africa - Saldanha - A beatiful ride! - Steph Teeter

I think this course will go down as one of my favorites. Maybe it's partly
because it was so different (like half a world away different) but it was
really a perfect course. I think this was a 'world class' ride - gorgeous
scenery, good footing - but still some technical challenges - plenty of
variety. The marking was good, though there were a few confusing spots, and
the map was a bit of a study... But all together this one rates really high
on my list. Capetown is one of the few regions free of African Horse
Sickness - so they can actually consider an invitational FEI ride. Walvis
Bay (Namibia) is the other area that is AHS free - and also another area
being considered as a quarantine facility port. The AHS is a big deal in
southern Africa - heavy rains this year resultedin a high mortality rate -
especially foals and older horses. Very sad.

But anyway - the ride-

The 160 and 120 distances started really eary - 4am and 4:30am  - a couple
hours of riding in the dark. Last year there was a heavy morning mist off
the Atlantic, making it difficult to follow the trail, but this year it was
clear and not too cold. just perfect. The 80km ride started at 5:30 - nice
and civil - about an hour in the dark and then a gradual dawn revealing a
most beautiful landscape.

Rojan de Swardt and I rode together all day, he on his big strong (a little
green yet) Saddlebred cross, and me on a nice forward 10 yr mare "Princess".
She was very strong, but rateable. My arms and back were pretty worn out
after the first loop - both the horses were a little over-enthusiastic. And
as the day progressed she never quit asking to go faster, but did quit
pulling so hard. A wonderful mare - forward and brave.

The course wound around the bay - a lovely cove with rocky outcrops, sand
shallows at low tide, Southern Right Whales spouting and rolling in the
water, dolphins, gulls, cormorands, other shore birds that looked just a
little different to me. We crossed several flat or rolling sections of
flower covered land - big granite outcrops, smooth gray and white stones
thrust in every direction, piled on top of each other. and the flowers were
incredible. The whole ride takes place in a Nature Conservation area.
Preserving the flora - the special coastal plants and wildflowers, the kudu
(large african game animal), the tortoises, the whales, - plus a variety of
other mammals. Very wild and natural habitat.

Past the lighthouse we came to the Atlantic coastal side - giant waves
rolling onto the coast to crash up against cliffs and rocks - a spit of land
off the shore, rock covered, crashing waves. It was SOOOO beautiful!! I was
carrying a borrowed camera (thanks Lieber!) fairly low quality, and Princess
was trotting so strongly that I could only afford one-handed shots, and no
zoom. So the pictures really don't do the landscape justice.

The wildflowers were spectacular... bright yellow carpets, smatterings of
pink and purple, grasses and waxy vegetation of all varieties of green. And
on occasion we wound through some of poorer neigborhoods. It was a little
grim in some places to see what people were actually living in... but the
kids came out and waved, the adults watched quietly for the most part. There
was one place with 50 or so adults crowded around a radio blaring the Rugby
game (South Africa Springboks vs . ?) The Springboks lost... not a happy
thing.

We had a nice, successful ride - both horses kept strong all day,
challenging each other. Both finished fine, it was just right to have done
80km rather than a longer distance. Maurius and Anida and friends crewed for
us, (as well as for Willa on the 160km ride, and another boy on his first
ride - 120km on Marius's stallion). All finished, a good day.

The vetting, the timing, all that stuff was done perfectly. Well organized,
well conducted. Great ride!  I am so thankful to all these folks for taking
me in - and really showing me a good time. (and believe me, these folks know
how to have a good time :)

Steph

--
believed to be clean.