[RC] Saddles that Move Forward/Backward - Lisa Douglass

I was reading a post of a rider who had problems with several different
saddles moving forward during riding.  As I rep saddles and hence deal a lot
with saddle fitting, I've heard this scenario many times.  This is actually
a fairly common occurrence if your horse has a certain structure combined
with a specific way of moving . . .

A 'normal' shaped horse has a girth groove behind the front legs with the
trunk of the horse deepening under the front legs and behind the girth
groove.  This type of body structure will typically hold the saddle in it's
proper place.  Of course, the girthing of the saddle needs to come straight
down (or angle towards) the girth groove.

Horses that typically have issues with saddles moving forward are ones where
the trunk slopes down from the front legs.  Physics says the girth cannot
possibly stay where it is, so the girth/saddle will begin to work its way
forward.  The forward movement can be even worse if you have a horse that
really drives from the rear.  A crupper is an excellent way to keep your
saddle from moving forward.  Don't automatically assume because your saddle
is moving forward that it isn't fitting properly.  In fact, some saddles
that don't seem to be moving forward may actually be, but are being stopped
by your horses shoulders -- Anyone ever seen hollows behind your horses
shoulders or have a horse who isn't willing to fully stride out?

Horses that typically have issues with saddles moving backward are ones
where their trunk rises steadily from the front legs.  Physics says with the
trunk narrowing behind the girth in this manner how could the saddle not
work backwards?   Backward movement can be made worse by a horse that
'pulls' from the front along with having large shoulder movement.  A breast
collar is the easiest fix here.  Again, just because your saddle isn't
moving backward may not mean it's not being hung up somewhere.  If your
horse is consistently coming up with a sore back (typically a sore loin),
you might want to try a breast collar to make sure your saddle stays in its
proper place.

Since there is such a small area of a horses back that can best support our
weight, I like to keep my saddle in that spot by using both a breast collar
and a crupper.  JMO.

Lisa Douglass
Moss Rock Endurance
US Distributor, Free 'n' Easy Saddles