Re: [RC] Old Mac versus EasyBoots - Dyane Smith

Karen Standefer wrote:

People just need to realize that anything you put on the foot will change
the flight pattern, loading and breakover of the hoof/limb.  To that end,
you choose the product that works best for the individual.  For a lot of
endurance horses shoes will be a MUCH safer and healthier choice than
boots.
And, even within the selection of shoes, a specific shoe can be chosen to
help a horse out that has "issues".  It's difficult to work through
"issues"
with the very limited selection of boots on the market.

I think Karen makes some excellent points.  Even plastic shoes have
limitations because of the way they affect a horse's way of going.  U.C.
Davis loves Equithotics and Natural Balance (not plastic) shoes.  I have
given each a try and found they did not work for my horses.  The Equithotics
did have to be modified for my old horse who needs an egg bar, so this may
not apply to those who don't.  At the same time, I would say that it does
illustrate the difficulties involved in getting an exact fit from some of
the new shoes.  My old horse has long sloping pasterns.  His feet need to
slide freely (this is a horse that could walk as fast as many horses trot).
The Equithotics lasted ONE day.  He slid out of them.

The Natural Balance shoes probably (the jury is still out) contributed to my
young horse forging, because they have a particular breakover point built
into the shoe.  As the vet told me, a horse's movement is so dynamic that
(at least for many) he needs to be able to chose his breakover point based
upon conditions of the moment (gait, speed, terrain, etc.)  I don't how how
this observation will play out in the long run, but it makes sense to me.

My old horse was agile and surefooted as a cat in mountain terrain wearing
handmade egg bars, but it's hard to find a shoer that does that anymore.

Dyane