Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:05 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Eating Living Things

In my experience, what spoils most of us and keeps us from slaughtering our own is time and convenience.  It isn't as healthy to go buy it from the supermarket, but the food is tantalizingly THERE, which means I don't have to milk a cow twice a day, or spend a day cutting and wrapping a beef, or whatever.

When I was a kid, the neighbor knew how to milk a cow, too, so if we went away for a few days, it was no big deal to get someone to do chores.  In this day and age, it is tough enough to get reliable help to just feed horses when we travel--even here in this rural area, finding someone who could milk a cow in our absence is nigh on impossible.  We do have a mobile butcher, so getting a cow slaughtered and processed isn't out of the question--although for me, it is still easier to buy a half or a quarter from someone else.  So I don't think my upbringing put me off to any of this--but our current culture sure makes it easy to fall into the rut of simply buying food at the supermarket instead of taking the time and trouble to raise it.  (And that is true of vegetable gardens, too--when I was a kid, ALL our veggies were homegrown as well.  LOTS of labor.)

Heidi

 Tho our 3 children were raised to a limited slaughter, none do them practice that today.  I even fed them fresh from the cow milk because it was cheaper than regular milk, but it was real mild.  I think i turned  them off to that approach from the time we were going to Disneyworld for Christmas and had to slaughter 20 chikens or more before we left.  I think that ruined it for them as they don't do the practice of home-raised meat.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=