[RC] Bryce Canyon XP and affording rides - Kerry Greear

I returned to South Dakota yesterday after a wonderful trip to Bryce Canyon. I love the atmosphere of the multi-day rides. Although there is always "choring", it seems there is also time to make new friends and catch up with old friends. To make it affordable to travel that far, I recruited a wonderful 16 year old girl to travel with Dorothy Sue Phillips and me. She rode two days and helped Annie at the vet checks the other three days. She not only had a wonderful time but is looking forward to attending rides with her own horse next year. I have found in this life, where there is a will, there is usually a way.

I really enjoyed the entire ride, even though I only rode 2 l/2 days. The campsite is beautiful and I rode Hawk bareback on trails out of camp the last day. Water was plentiful, the hot showers were appreciated, the weather was awesome and we were blessed with a nice rain shower that actually improved the trails. The food was excellent, the spirit of teamwork was pervasive yet there was a little element of competition to keep the edge on. Ride meetings were a time of laughter and storytelling. The maps were excellent and trails extremely well marked.

I so appreciate the people who make rides like this possible. I hope to return in 2007.

Kerry and Hawk, back to reality