Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:14 AM
Subject: [RC]

I disagree. My horse was alone for a long time before I purchased her. I got her home and she was cranky with the others so I took her out for one on one time. She was so shocked and thrilled that someone was going to pay attention and love her that she is the best horse I have now.

"I would be very cautious about getting involved with this mare.  She
may
have been alone during the critical time when horses learn how to
behave in
a herd situation.

Many years ago I boarded a mare that had been alone for years.  My
situation
then, as now, was that the mixed herd had to get along.  Every morning
at
feeding time the mare would get into the dominant gelding's space.  He
would
patiently explain (ears first then bared teeth) that she was not
welcome.
When she persisted, he would turn around and kick her soundly with both
back
feet.  She would back off and sulk for awhile.  The next morning it was
the
same thing.  She just was not able to learn how to get along.  I was
very
happy to see her go down the road."

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser