[RC] Horse Abuse - and not - rides2far - paradigm

It was without a doubt the trainers association that cancelled the last
class.  I didn't hear anything at the time, but an article in the local
Shelbyville paper did indicate at least one of the owners of a horse that
passed inspection would have liked to compete.

I watched the inspection process throughout the week.  It really is rather
cursory.  A horse is led into the warmup ring and checked in.  The
inspector picks up the front feet and presses certain spots with his
thumb.  Then he runs his hand over the hoof and lower leg looking for
evidence of scarring.  Sometimes they inspect the back legs, sometimes
not.  Finally, the horse is walked out and back about 50 feet.  That's all
there is to it.  Of course that inspection is a DQP and not a USDA person.

I was most alarmed at the horses that seemed drugged up, especially the
ones that fell down in the showring.  I saw no evidence to suggest that
drug tests are being performed.  If a horse has been sorred then a short
acting drug could mask that, could it not?  Then when it wore off the
horse could compete in the showring sore!

To bring this somewhat back on topic:

My horse is the product of a "backyard breeding" between a TWH mare and an
Arabian stallion, both unregistered.  I like the combination.  I would
like to have another TWH/Arab.  However, I want to do it right this time.

The TWH barns here have no idea which bloodlines would be appropriate for
endurance.  They are completely focused on the shows.  Has anyone done
this research?  I would appreciate any information about TWH that have
excellent endurance records (mileage not wins).

-E-