[RC] Cranky mares! - Jennifer Adam

I love cranky, grumpy mares! Really, I do! They have such unqiue personalities, and once you earn their respect and trust they'll do anything for you. They're amazingly sensitive and clever - and very brave. Luckily, my mares are grouchy but never aggressive. We've had kicking issues, but you can deal with those the same way you would with any other unwanted behavior. Make the right thing look easy and the wrong thing hard. My mom;s mare was a kicker - until I separated her from the herd and kept her all by herself for a week. She was so lonely she couldn't *wait* to get back with the other horses. She pinned her ears and cocked a hind once - I growled at her, they gave her "Don't you dare!" death stares, and she quit. She still expects them to stay out of her space - but she doesn't attack or act aggressive. The horses worked it out - because it was better for all of them to learn to get along.

I would suggest having a vet exam, though - some mares can develop ovarian tumors that can create hormonal imbalances leading to escalated aggression.

If you like her that much, though, I would say GO for it!! I have a mustang mare that I just love! She's athletic and a gorgeous mover (no one believes she's a mustang!) and I hope to turn her into a 100 mile horse. When I got her, everyone thought I was nuts. She was wild - even for a mustang - and 3 trainers had already said she'd never be gentled. Well, I've done it. Took me a long time - still training - but she's a remarkable horse! Best I've ever had.

I love my gelding for his steadiness and reliablity - but my mares are my favorites! :P
Jen Adam

Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview