Re: [RC] Horse Abuse - and not - rides2far

Just a sidecar here - some of you might be privy to the latest news
on the   TWH "Celebration" which apparently ended suddenly when 7 of
the 10
finalists in  the Champ class were disqualified by federal inspectors
who showed
up at the   event and started testing for soring.

Ain't it a hoot!  They had a segment on it on All Things Considered on
NPR this evening. Sounded like they practically had riots. They claimed
they cancelled the championships because they couldn't keep the crowd in
control but the law said they were in control. One of the contestents who
was approved said he was afraid to try to ride his horse through the
crowd to get to the ring it was so crowded with people protesting. I
don't know if they were protesting for or against.

My farrier just left and he does some Walking Horses. I asked him what he
thought about it and he said, "Yipee!" Sounded like he thought things are
worse now than they were a few years ago. He did say he didn't feel the
testing proceedure was especially fair. He pressed my daughter's horse's
heel and it yanked and he said, "see, if you go pressing around they're
gonna yank you".

The mentality of the people who "shoe them up" is pretty warped.
Chattanooga had a mounted police force for a while and they put the
policeman with the most equine experience in charge of it. Unfortunately,
he was a big fan of the big lick *and* a farrier on the side. We had
about 10  police horses with huge weights on their feet trying to
navigate around downtown. It would have been funny if it hadn't been so
tragic.  I even had a guy show up to trail ride with us once with huge
weights on his mare' feet...and he wanted her to go up steep hillclimbs
(he loved to cut trail) and over really rugged terrain. Stupidity at its
purest is a scarey thing.

If those guys ever get that big lick out of their system they may find
out they have a horse with a much wider appeal.

Angie