Re: [RC] easyboot bares - Marilyn Wiese

so ... does anyone have any advice for getting these things ON?

Hi Lisa,

I noticed that you live in Santa Fe. I live in El Paso and will be at the
Apache Kid Trail Rides on Sept 23 and 24. If you are going to be there, I
can give you some advice in person. I haven't used the bares yet on a 50
miler or above but do plan to use them on the 60 on Sat and the 50 on Sunday and I have been using them on conditioning rides up to 25 miles so far.

I've found it helps to use the smallest bare that will fit the foot but that
also means that it is harder to get on the foot, esp when they are brand
new.  I've gotten them on with the mallet and without the mallet but now
that I am getting the hang of using the mallet, I like to use it if I have
it handy.

I usually don't try to put the boot on straight at first and instead get one
side on and then twist a little and work the other side on...I use the
mallet on the sides of the bottom of the boot on whichever side isn't on the
most and then sometimes on the toe too.  All of this gets easier with
practice.

I've just started using vetwrap under the bares and I'm even managing to get them on with the vet wrap there...I only plan to use the vetwrap for actual
endurance rides to prevent any rubbing that might occur and also, I think it
helps a lot lessen the amount of sand that gets in the boot.

One thing you can try right now is to adjust the bungie screws so that they
are on the loosest setting (if they aren't already there now)...if that
helps you to get the boot on you can at least try them out on a ride and
then later set them on a tighter setting as the boots stretch some.  Also,
the looser setting may allow you to be able to get a finger down the back of
the boot, before you tighten the gaiter, so that you can check to see if the
back strap seems to be in position.

That is how I check to make sure the back strap is not too high or too low.
It is harder when the foot is vet wrapped.  I have found that the strap has
been in the correct position without having to use the pullup straps that
come with the boot.  So now I just put the boot on and make sure the boot
strap is positioned correctly with my finger.

Showing you these things in person would be the best thing so if you are at
the Apache Kid ride and still need help, I would be glad to show you what
works for me.

mar