Re: [RC] We came to a fork in the trail of life//Horse Retirement - Chris Paus

I don't have a therapeutic horse program story, but a friend asked me last spring to sell a horse for her. Gus had some really good years as a distance horse, and even top 10d in regional IAHA competition. He had done OD also. But, arthritis was catching up with him and slowing him down. And he has some melanomas progressing. It was important to her that he get a good home.

I was a bit reluctant to take on him and his pasture buddy (a horse bred here), but I did. I wasn't sure how I was going to care for them with money so tight it's hard to take care of my own herd.

I don't know if you believe in God, or a higher power, or fate, or what, but only a couple of weeks after the two horses got here, a new potential client came over to look at breeding his mare to my stallion.

Gus caught his eye and he said that he might make a great horse for his neighbor girl who suffers from a chromosomal deficiency that gives her symptoms like autism. I told him all of Gus's physical issues, and he said it doesn't matter. He just needs to pack a young girl around in a round pen and submit to be brushed and loved on a lot.

This person hatched a plan with the girls parents to make like he was buying Gus for himself and the little girl was to come over and help take care of him. When her birthday came, they were going ot put a ribbon around his neck and lead him to her house.

I have 9 horses here in the pasture. When they came to visit with the little girl, no one told her which horse might be the one she would be working with. She spied Gus, marched up to him, threw her arms around his neck and said, "mom, dad, I want THIS one." Gus put his head over her shoulder and gave her a horsey hug. They put her up on him bareback with just a halter and lead rope and he carried her around like she was made of glass.

Long story short, he went home with them the next week. I've since gotten a call and a letter from the girl's mom telling me how much this horse has added to their lives. Everyone loves him and he's great therapy for this little girl, who is about 11. One of the things she simply cannot do is sit still. Some part of her body has to be in motion all the time. Gus has taught her to sit still. If she starts wiggling, he plants his feet and won't go until she is quiet in the saddle. Her mom said Gus has taught her more in a few months than years of other kinds of therapy have done.

The potential client has become a good friend and loves my stallion. In fact, he's going to take over stallion management for me during breeding season next spring. This should free up some of my time to ride and train more for a better endurance season in 2007.

And Gus's pasture pal also has found a good home. He will be moving in a month or so to his new people.

My friend was brave I think to let go of two horses who meant a lot to her. But her life situation was changing and it just wasn't feasible for her to keep them. She didn't want to 'sale barn' them and have their fate up in the air.

Eric, things do work out for the best. You gave your horse and some deserving kids a wonderful gift. I think horses, especially distance riding Arabians, need to have a job and feel useful. Gus was kind of forlorn around here watching the other horses being ridden. But now he has his own important job and little human to take care of. The young horse, Moon, is going to two people who adore him. And I have a new friend and business partner which will help my life and breeding program immensely. Things happen for a reason!

chris

"Beverley H. Kane, MD" <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric et al,

Porter will have a great life! I personally know Martha McNiel and
Dreampower Horsemanship.

Chris Paus

Do you Yahoo!?