Re: [RC] stupid question about sheets/coolers/blankets - Chris Paus

Hi Jennifer, I live in eastern Kansas... our weather is a lot like yours. You described exactly what I do!
.
My horses also have run-in sheds, but no real barn. They get hairy and I leave them that way.

If it's cool and damp, I might put a rump rug on for riding, but will take it off if the day warms up.

I try to walk them back from the trail so they are pretty dry by the time we get home or to the trailer. I'll put a light cooler over them until they have dried completely. Then I make sure to curry the hair to fluff it back up again.

My horses only get regular winter blankets when it's nasty and wet out. they can handle cold temps fine, but we get those nasty ice storms here and I'll blanket them for that.

chris

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all -
Okay, I know this is a really dumb question, but I have to ask. How do I
know whether my horse needs a sheet, cooler, or blanket? I've never bought
one before - only did light riding in the winter, if at all, and never let
my horse work up a sweat under his winter coat. This winter I'd like to ride
my mare regularly, but I'm worried about keeping her from getting a chill
after we've been out on the trail. She stays in a pasture with access to a
three sided shed, but I don't have a barn. I don't want to have to clip her
and I don't want to have to blanket regularly, either.

Chris Paus

Why keep checking for Mail? The all-new Yahoo! Mail shows you when there are new messages.