RE: [RC] [RC] CTR & Endurance - RHONDA LEVINSON

<< I have heard uneducated CTR riders say they hear endurance rides have horses who die at lots of rides from over-riding, that a lame horse is usually allowed to continue, the riders are rude, and unfriendly etc. etc. >>

I have heard these same things. I've done both sports and it's been my experience that endurance vets have MUCH stricter standards about the soundness of the horse and his/her ability to continue. My first year doing CTRs, I actually posted to their list with concerns about the vets not adequately protecting the horses doing CTRs.

And I have heard from both sides about riders in the other sport being unfriendly. I think that both groups have pretty friendly people, but those people are competing and focusing on what they're doing, therefore, aren't necessarily going to realize that you're new or think that they should come up to you. In both groups, just walk up to people, introduce yourself and start talking! People will welcome you.

<<I have also heard endurance riders say that CTR's don't allow you to give your horse food in the middle of the night, no electrolytes are allowed, that judges will jump out of the bushes to try to spook your horse, and you can not talk on the trail. >>

I've heard these things too. Fortunately, people who know us well know that we'd never starve our horses or allow them to be placed in unsafe situations. And people who know me also know that if you lost points for talking on the trail, I would end every ride with a negative score. :-) I think this misconception comes from the fact that other riders don't want you talking loudly at the P&Rs. I have also heard all the stuff about how dangerous it is to tie your horse overnight. You'd think that there was an injury from being at every ride.

Both disciplines are great fun. Personally, I think that endurance is easier for the rider, mentally easier in particular. No worries about whether you're "in the window" or if there's a surprise P&R or anything. Just zip on down the trail and do your thing. In a CTR, you have an real learning opportunity that doesn't exist at an endurance ride. I think of it as a two day riding lesson. I love both.

Rhonda