[RC] Endurance, CTR - Karen Everhart

Please, folks, DO NOT let Jeanne's inaccurate description of CTR fool you.  She could not be farther from the truth by calling it a "horse show in the woods" or that the distances are only 25 - 30 miles.  I compete in 2 day NATRC rides and we do 60 miles over the 2 days.  Generally 35-38 on the first day and the balance on the 2nd. In NATRC, there is an element called "trail manners" that has a small percentage of weight in the overall evaluation of each horse but conditioning, metabolics, soundness, etc are more heavily weighted. We are very interested in sane and sound horses and one way to assess saneness is to ask that a horse complete certain trail related tasks.  The judges are educated to offer "natural to the trail" obstacles or observations such as safely negotiating a deep water crossing without refusing, rushing, bucking, rearing or dumping its rider.

Jonni could jump in here as she does both NATRC and AERC rides.  I think one thing which significantly validates the education and conditioning from participating in CTR is the high completion rate of NATRC riders who attempt Tevis even if they have limited or no endurance experience.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082

. A CTR is a "horse show in the woods" -- a great training ground to learn things like pacing, trotting out your horse for the vet, being organized and arriving with a well turned out horse and rider, all things that winning CTR riders learn to do, and a lot of endurance riders have forgotten. Just remember that, as in horse showing, much of the judging in CTR is subjective,