[RC] CTR & Endurance - mkrumlaw

As luck would have it I just spent 6 months researching the history of CTR (along with other distance related facts) for a presentation I did for the BOD of AHA.

The Cliff Note version.....

CTR began in the US on the East Coast in the late 1910's!  The first organized group was the GMHA (Green Mountain Horse Association) in 1926.  The Vermont 100 CTR is the oldest ride in the country.  The original purpose of CTR was a test of horses used in the military.  Horses needed to be able to carry their rider 25 miles a day in a timely manner, remain sound and serviceable and be able to go on the next day.  So it was a test of selecting a suitable horse for this purpose.  Thus no pit crews, boots, etc.

Today there are 6 governing bodies of CTR in the US.  NATRC, ECTRA, OAATS, UMECRA, SEDRA, and MODTRA. (listed in order of formation).  Five of the groups are very similar with NATRC being slightly different in that they judge horsemanship over and around obstacles during the ride as well.

CTR is considered a strategy sport.  You present your horse for evaluation before the start of the ride, complete the ride in the same amount of time as everyone else, and present your horse at the end of the ride for evaluation again.  The objective is to bring your horse back and make it look like it's not done anything.  Points are deducted for any condition deemed worse at the end of the ride and the highest scoring horse wins.

Granted to those who do CTR this is hugely over simplified, but without presenting a dissertation it's the best I can do in a few paragraphs.

I started distance riding in the CTR world and did about 4,500 miles before I started endurance.  I found it a very valuable tool to learn how to condition and pace myself during competition.  I also use it to start my young horses.

MKS