[RC] Horse acting sluggish (wasn't previously)-- Long, sorry - Claire Nystrom

I have a 9 yo. mustang/tb cross mare that I got as an
untrained/unhandled 5 yo. to be my future endurance horse.  I've never
done a ride, was planning on starting in CTR.  Finally, this year, she
is trained enough (had major behavior problems) that I can think about
conditioning her; however, she's having some health issues that will
probably preclude her for doing much more than being a fun trail
horse.  When she was 7 and we were living in Md, she was diagnosed
with heaves even though she was on 24/7 turnout in a 55 acre field.  I
could not ride her for months as she could not do more than walk
without coughing.  Once fall came, she was fine.  She was also treated
for Lyme disease that summer and perhaps that had something to do with
it.  I haven't had any problems with her again till this summer, she
went through some coughing, etc. in June, but I switched her hay and
she's been fine.  She's a bit out of shape right now as I couldn't
ride because I had meningitis.  I'm back to riding again and she's
acting sluggish, something she's never done before-- she's usually
raring to go all the time and I never, ever have had to use leg on her
to keep her going until recently.  She's also really fat and I think
that she's insulin resistant, but have not had it confirmed by
bloodtests.  She gets 2 flakes of hay am and pm (no grass in her
field) and just enough grain to mix her supplements with.  She gets a
hay balancer, Source, and magnesium.  I am having the vet come on
Tues. to test her for Lyme disease and check her thyroid and was just
wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what else I might ask
her to take a look at.  I don't think she's in any pain as she has
always been ridden in treeless saddles (she has the build for them)
and currently rides in a Sensation.  She is barefoot and I use
Easyboot Epics on all 4 hooves to go on the trail.  She is still sweet
and acting normal, just a bit lazy when I ride, and does not seem
uncomfortable with anything that I do.
I'm just feeling a little frustrated right now as I'd like to do a 25
on her next spring, but I always have trouble getting her fit as her
recoveries are always really slow and she always seems to have
breathing problems (even if no coughing) in the summertime (ie. gets
winded easily even when ridden consistently).  I don't push her beyond
what she can do (she wouldn't let me, she's way too smart for that).
I always thought that the breathing problems she has when she was 7
were perhaps related to the Lyme disease, but I think that they just
disappeared at the end of summer when the weather changed and the
pollen count was lower.  At this point, I would just like to do some
25's on her and some CTR, as I rather doubt she's cut out much more--
when the vet looked at her last summer, she held the same opinion.  I
am disappointed, but love Gala so much that I'm not sure that I could
actually sell her to buy a more suitable horse, and, unfortunately, am
not in the financial position to own more than one horse.
Sorry this is long, I just thought maybe someone might have some
suggestions for me or have had a similar experience with a horse.

Thanks,
Carol