Re: [RC] AHA HORSE SHOW ABUSE DISCUSSION - Richard M Levine

Further to my earlier posting, I have been going thru my mail and have opened up the premium book for the upcoming State Fair of Texas Class "A" Show, to be held at the Sate Fair Coliseum, Sept 7-10, 2006. On page 15, of the premium book, it states:

"CRUELTY OR ABUSE" - Cruelty or abuse is forbidden anywhere on the show grounds. The show committee shall penalize such actions (USEF Rule III, Art .302) Excessive harm to any horse (Including harm caused by a whip or any other object) anywhere on the grounds before, during or after the show renders the offender subject to penalty. Judges shall enforce this policy in the show ring. A signed entry constitutes acceptance of this policy.

You will note please that any entrant, Professional and or Amateur must sign off on this with their entry prior to competing in the event.

I have ben showing here in Region 9 since 1994 each year averaging approx 10 shows per year, between open and Class A activity. I am pleased to report that I have seen few examples of what has been described here, however in each instance made sure that the ring steward was aware of the situation. They are but one person, sometimes at an event that could service 2-300 head.
They need and appreciate the eyes and ears of other exhibitors to bring this type of situation to their attention when observed. In general I find the Halter judges which I have shown in front of , very attentive to looking for any sign of abuse, which acts as a good deterrant.

I am sure that any acitvity reported here by others is real, or they would not have taken the time to write about it. I am curious however, what did they do that day to stop the activity, or at least report it themselves to the proper authority?

Every sport, horse or non horse related has those thay would violate the rules for the sake of winning. I would prefer a level playing field myself.

Your sport, has a large Vet activity at every event, to ensure that your horses are not abused,
and fit to continue on the course. When was this put in place and why?? How many die each year in Endurance and or Competitive Trail, Nationally and World Wide? Look at the Race track industry, how many 3 year olds die on race tracks around the country each year ? It is apparent to me that your sport will continue on, and the race track industry will keep on, keeping on, and so will the Show Horse industry continue .........

All we can do as exhibitors is to continue to suggest tighter rules and enforcement of those rules, and urge all competitiors to come forward and do something possitive when they see any violation of those rules. Paying lip service to violations is one thing, doing something about it is another thing.

Respectuflly submitted,

Richard m Levine
Houston, Tx.