[RC] Goodbye to Germany.. WEG 2006 - LUCIE HESS

Today I'm leaving for Frankfurt to go to the airport.
My flight is early in the am, and I'm hearing I have
to be there many  hours early.  So off I go.
Yesterday, I was the recipient of great generosity.  A
friend of one of the local women (who boards at the
barn and who has gotten friendly with us), gave me a
ticket to the Cross country, came by and picked me up
and took me to the Stadium with her family.  She
didn't even know me!  I can never repay such kindness.
I had planned on taking a taxi and paying for the
ticket.  This was a huge money saver as the ticket
itself was 25 Euros.  It was fun hanging out with the
local folks, after awhile I left and moved around on
my own.

There is a great deal of excitement that the WEG will
be held in Kentucky in 2010.

The cross country was very long and the jumps were
huge and hard.  There seemed to be multiple refusals
and falls.  Some folks just plain didn't start.
There were several riders who chose to take the long
way around and get the time penalties, if they
couldn't go fast enough on the straightaways.  I think
the optimum time was around 11 minutes or so.
At finish of the CC course, Amy Tryon from the US sat
in 2nd.  I didn't hear the team standings.

Last night as I was packing around 9 or so, I turned
on the TV to watch CNN, you know catch up on the news
I've missed while I've been gone?  Luckily, before I
found CNN, I was surprised to find the KUR (freestyle)
event that started at 8:00 pm being televised live.
The rides were phenomenal!  I can't believe that
dressage is treated like a football or baseball game,
on National TV and LIVE!  It was remarkable.  I don't
follow all of the riders and only know names if I see
them, but I think Isabelle Werth ? from Germany was
1st.  My.. I stopped packing and stood still while
that ride was going on. Steffan Peters was 6th and
another American was 13th or so.
Yesterday was a cloudy, but rainless day, today it is
raining HARD, a farewell from Aachen.  The local folks
say they are "having Spring" instead of August.  They
reassured me (often) that this is very unusual weather
for them, it is usually sunny and warm.

So, this is my last post to Ridecamp, regarding the
WEG.  If there is something you had questions about,
email me privately.. if I can I'll try to answer as
best as I can.
I've read all of the kind words about my little travel
blogs.  Thanks so much.  I've had great fun writing
and sharing what I can of the experience here.  It's
great fun, believe me.  Until the next adventure..
Lucie

Columbia, Missouri
Region 6

http://mail.yahoo.com