[RC] '06 TWH Celebration - SHUT DOWN - yup - tichenor06

Yes, just for a ribbon, and bragging rights.

Yup, 'bout time.  MORE should be going on than some slaps on the wrist. It is the "good ol'e boyz" southern thing going on here, remember that.  Hard to change.  We do it, paw did it, paw paw did it, and my great grand pappy did it to, so it is ok for us to do it.   I believe unless each, and EVERY show and horse and the stables where they come from are inspected regularly, and monitored, it will continue.  Yes $$ is the driving force.  I am always amazed that this breed of horse is so tolerant of their (mis)care.  The things I have seen with my own eyes, makes me sad. I shake my head.  What they are doing to that breed, and to horses in general is SO SO sad.  I honestly believe there is NO other show organization in the USA that is worse.  If so . .   name it please.

I have been to the Racking Horse Celebration also, Somerville, AL.  Just a different show to show horses, different arena, same exact type things go on.  I went to some World Grand Champion Spotted Horse something (basically spotted TWH not spotted saddle horse I do not think - I forget) or other at the exact same arena, and for the WORLD GRAND CHAMPION of the entire show, the horse had to beat out, mmmm, 20 horses at the most.  The trail class had all 20, but other classes had 3 max.  Some had 1, some had 2.  All for the WGC.  So the WORLD GRAND CHAMPION OF THE EARTH (basically) was against only a small sample of the horses in the earth.  But that horse(s)/owner/trainer got a ribbon and a title and a bunch of fancy ribbons and bragging rights.  Which is alot ;-O - ha! not.

Once again, if you have NEVER seen it in person, it is something that you should go see.  You do NOT have to PAY to sit in the arena.  For free you can walk the barns, and watch the "warm ups".  There is also an outdoor arena for free to watch.

I shake my head at the treatment of those horses.  And *some* say endurance riders are bad, eventers are bad, QH shows are bad, hunny you ain't seen nuthin yaet till ya seen that show.

Those feet on those horses are messed up for life after they are padded up like they are.  Just watching those horses legs move they way they have them manipulated makes me CRINGE.  It is a true testament how that breed can with stand such treatment.  An example is how they tie them in a stall 24/7, with leg wraps, tail tied up and over their backs, double blankets, hoods, no light from the outside to spoil their coats.

You know, I have never seen a padded endurance horse.  Nor padded event horse.  Nor a padded english pleasure, reiner, barrel racer, race horse, trail horse, pleasure horse, trail horse, jumping horse, western horse.  I do not see the purpose of it at all.  Except for those type shows.  Which is what 10 minutes at the most long??

Endurance:  the beauty of being able to allow a horse to have the freedom of the trail, and lovely adventures, and to have SUCH LOVE and CARE from his/her owner.  I mean that sincerely too.  We LOVE our horses, and many(99% of us) take better care of their horses than themselves.  I am proud to ride endurance.

Off my soap box.

Laura
North Alabama