[RC] Using Advantix for Dogs On Horses - Susan Shook

We live in Yuma, AZ and have almost year-round problems with itching, scratching, hives, etc. due to bug bites.  After trying many different types of remedies (feed through, injectable, and topical) my vet has suggested trying Advantix (flea & tick spot on) for dogs.  He did not know the exact amount of the spot on to apply, so apparently it is not a straight pound per pound conversion (and if that were the case it would be cost prohibitive).

Does anyone have any experience using this product on horses and if so, how much did you apply and what were your results?  I have also heard that some in our area are now applying a pour on cattle dip with some success but this seems like an inherently bad idea to me.  Any vets out there care to comment on using cattle dip on horses????

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am religious about getting up daily every morning, February through November and apply fly repellant, fly mask, turn on fans in stalls, and feed BOSS, MSM and flax seed, and apply desitin prn, plus anti-microbial, anti-fungal shampoo prn, and they get steroid shots when deemed appropriated by the vet, and are currently are on immune stimulant therapy.

Thanks,

Susan