RE: [RC] FYI- WEG endurance horse death - heidi

I'm really sorry to hear that.  I've met Ingelise and she is a very dedicated and caring rider.

I'm curious--is there any routine blood analysis going on on horses pre-ride at this level yet?  I've always wondered if we might not pick up some of the horses that tie up so badly in the first few miles of these high profile events if we checked muscle enzymes after arrival but prior to the start.  I had an experience vetting for the Danish team (on leased American horses) in Kansas in 1996--we had hauled an alternate horse to the venue, and he seemed a bit sluggish on a workout right after his arrival.  He was fine afterward.  No really overt symptoms.  We pulled blood and took it up to KSU--we were actually standing in the line to vet in when one of our team's crew came running up with the results--REALLY high enzyme levels.  I raised my eyebrows and looked at the assistant team vet, she raised her eyebrows and looked at me, and we went and pulled the horse out of line and took him back to the barn, and scratched him off of the alternate list.  It would be interesting to see across the board what sorts of levels there are in these horses, and if that correlates to this sort of failure and tragedy.

Meanwhile, my condolences to Ingelise.

Heidi

The Chronicle of the Horse has just reported that a Danish team
horse, 11 year old Dubai, was euthanized as a result of complications
following a severe myopathy (tying up).  Condolences to the
owner/rider.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=