[RC] TWH - saddle fit - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
Truman wrote:
"Most saddles do not differentiate between the pitch and width at the shoulder.  That is a wide tree comes from a flat tree and a narrow tree comes from a steep pitch.  What many walkers need is a wide tree with a steep pitch.  It is difficult to find - especially in the inexpensive saddles."

This is sooooo true.  I have gotten 2 free horses and found that the reason their riders had problems was because of saddle fit - and this type of conformation.  I do saddle fitting clinics and find this to be a fairly common problem.  Saddle makers (at the low end) just do not understand the concept or breadth!  If anyone knows of a low end saddle that can be ordered for this type of conformation or generally runs broad, I would love to know.  Although I can easily  handle these situations with a Free'n'Easy or the right Reactor Panel saddle, not everyone can afford them and I live in the middle of cow country - they ain't giving up their horns!

I was also just given a mustang with a flat table of a back.  She is very broad to begin with and way overweight.  She's been to several trainers in the 8 years after adoption and for some reason just isn't interested in saddles being thrown at her or being mounted.  It would take a custom saddle, and outside many saddle makers normal range to fit her and I highly doubt the trainers around here would have had the right thing for her (or cared).  So I'm starting her training from the beginning, adjusting a saddle just for her, and I'm quite confident that she will be a fantastic horse.  And I won't sell her unless the buyer has a saddle that fits!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com