Re: [RC] TWHs and ignorance...slightly OT (sorry) - Mary Ann Spencer

This is not OT, at least to me.  Seems all the breeds have their folks who are ONLY interested in the big bucks expected from artificial training methods.  Arab owners used to put ginger under the tail.  All for some artificial 'style'.  IMHO
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 1:30 PM
Subject: [RC] TWHs and ignorance...slightly OT (sorry)

Back in high school (1994 and 1995, if anyone wants to know) a teacher of
mine found out I was passionate about horses (guess it was the doodles that
gave it away...) and invited me to ride her TWHs with her. She had two -
both apparently big name show horses - and she needed someone to help
exercise them during their "off-season." I gladly accepted her invitation -
riding lessons were expensive and any excuse to climb in the saddle was
welcome!! - and met my first TWHs. One, she called "Hawk" (don't know their
registered names) and he was a gorgeous chestnut. So shiny - I can still
remember how proud he looked. The other was a 4 or 5 year old named "Ebony."
He was jet black - almost blue in the dim arena lights. Anyway, I adored
their smooth gaits and proud look - until she invited me to a show. I had
never been around horses like these before - nor their people. Even my
teacher admitted it was "regrettable", but she plastered some yellow goop on
their legs and bragged to me that her "trainer" (*how* is it training to
hurt a horse??) could "get the big lick" like no one else in the area. Her
horses won first and second place - but I could not get the sick taste out
of my mouth and looking her horses in the eyes made me cry. I went home,
threw up, and never rode with her again. In college I met a really sweet
woman who raised what she called "Natural" TWHs and her horses were so
different! I wish people could value them for what they are, without
resorting to strange chemicals and devices. Sigh. Sorry for going OT.

Back to my mustangs,
Jen